Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Flowers Always Bring a Smile


It is a gloomy, wet Wednesday here in Haverford, so I thought I would bring a little bit of color. As I mentioned in my last entry, the children that I nanny for were going to plant 4 flower pots for their mom for Mother's Day. This has become a tradition over the past 5 or 6 years that I have been with this family. In those years, I think it has rained on most of the Fridays before Mother's Day, and let me tell you, trying to empty out pots and then plant the flowers in soil turning to mud is a tad difficult, and well, a little more messy... hahahaha. But this year on this past Friday the weather was gorgeous! No rain. No wind. Just sunshine and warmth. So planting the flowers was a breeze.

When the youngest boy got home he was excited to go out and get a little dirty planting the flowers. He pulled the bags of potting soil to the pots. He picked out which flowers he wanting going in each pot. He arranged the flowers around the Hibiscus trees, rose tree and one rose bush the way he wanted them. And then it was time to plant. We planted the trees, then put the flowers in around them, then filled it all in with the dirt. He was so very proud of the his job and knew his mom was going to love all the flowers.


I normally get to see the mom's reaction to the flowers and what the kids have done. This year, though, she got home late and I had left a little early to go with my boyfriend to see his parents for the weekend. So I had no idea if she was pleased with the outcome.

When I got back Sunday night, I stopped in to wish the mom a happy Mother's Day. She was all smiles! She told me she loved the pots and the rose tree especially. She had actually thought that we weren't planting the pots for her this year since she had not heard anything about it. So she was extremely surprised to find the pots filled with flowers and the fountain running (I had cleaned that out earlier on Friday). She loved the colors, but she especially loved the work and thought that her children put into picking and planting all the flowers. (Okay, so the two older ones, 17 and 14, didn't help plant anything, but they did give input into the colors of the flowers and what kinds... hahahaha).

As for my gifts that I made my Mom and sister for Mother's Day, I don't know what they thought of them yet. I kind of mailed them late... part of the life of a nanny is running out of time to do your own errands... hahahaha.

Okay, that is all for this early Wednesday morning. To brighten up the gloom of the day I have included a couple of pics from Friday after the little boy was done planting his mother's flowers for her. I hope they brighten up your day and bring a smile to you.

Have an absolutely wonderful day and know that anything is possible if you only believe!

~Jennifer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment